Regular and punctual attendance is essential to academic success. Parents/Guardians and students are responsible and accountable for daily attendance. A student should NOT be absent from school without the parent’s/guardian’s knowledge and consent.
Types of Absences
- Illness (more than 3 days requires a doctor’s note)
- Medical/dental appointment
- Death in immediate family
- Religious holiday or ceremony
- Family emergency
- Court appearance or in custody (verified with court document)
- Car trouble, missed the bus, couldn’t get a ride
- Absence from school without a legal excuse
- Unverified absence (no reason for absence submitted)
- Student assumed truant without parent’s/guardian’s knowledge or consent
- Out of Class
- Excessive trips to restroom or office
- Hanging out on the benches during class time
- Entering another classroom without permission from teacher
What to do when a Student is Absent:
- Full or partial day absence is cleared within 10 days of the absence by calling Mrs. Wyngaard at 714-964-7766 x4426. If Mrs. Wyngaard hasn’t heard from the parent she will call parent for the full day absence.
- If unable to call, student brings note to office upon return.
- If parent picks up student prior to the end of the school day, parent must sign student out at the office. Also authorized to pick up a student are those listed on the emergency card.
Consequences of Excessive Absences
- Student with excessive absences (excused, unexcused, truant and/or tardies) may be subject to:
- Parent notification & truancy letters
- Referral to the Principal for parent conference
- Requirement of a doctor’s note
- Referral to SART/SARB
- Loss of opportunity to earn credits due to lack of classroom participation and/or assignments submitted
- Transfer to another alternative school
Students Enter Campus Upon Arrival
- Students who leave campus without permission and return the same day are subject to search
- Our ACT e-portfolio has a requirement of 4 weeks of perfect attendance